Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dreadlocks: My present mission possible


Mission:
to dread my hair and add long, synthetic extensions.

Obstacles
: lack of any experience with dreading hair, lack of money ($300-400) to get it done by a professional, (mostly) straightened hair.
Advantages: hair that just loves to knot up on its own, about 3" new growth, a good friend, free time, a seriously motivating sense of desperation about my hair.



I have done a bunch of research on how to do this. There are many, many ways to make dreadlocks, and each person has their own little (or big) twist to add. Not to be outdone in adding to the confusion, I have come up with a plan as to how I am going to make my (hopefully) beautiful, long, thin dreads come into being. This section of Our Mission Possible will be devoted to documenting this process and the subsequent progress of my locs.

It also remains to be seen whether or not they are strong enough to stand the test of time. I believe they will. In addition, there is the question of adding synthetic hair as permanent extensions to my natural hair. I have done a few experimental locks on myself to test it all out, and they look very natural.

I have a great friend who is good with black hair and is willing to spend some time on this project with me. Good thing too 'cause, from the looks of it, it is a very long process. Since neither of us has ever done this before, I have watched many You Tube videos on the subject and read many an article. I made up a playlist of the videos I believe will be the most helpful, and here it is!


Next post on this project will probably be some links to articles I think will be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment